Tuesday, May 31, 2016

100 Happy Days - day #100

My sister and I decided 100 days ago that a great way to count down to our BIG ADVENTURE would be to challenge ourselves to #100happydays on Instagram.  It started a LONG time ago and we have now made it to day 100 - and we are super happy and excited about the fact that we are traveling together for a long European adventure - TODAY!!  

I didn't realize how deciding to do this countdown would require me being INTENTIONAL.  As I head out I just wanted to share the jist of what I learned over my #100happydays!

I was stopped a few Sunday's ago at church when someone commented on the fact that they like seeing what makes me happy every day. It was that comment made me realize that finding something to be happy about every day has been an INTENTIONAL choice.

Life is chaotic, hectic, awesome, disheartening, sad, emotional, frustrating… and in all of that - HAPPY. Happiness has to be a choice.



Every single day knowing that I needed to post something that I was happy about forced me to INTENTIONALLY find it. The last 100 days have not all been happy. As a matter of fact, some days have been downright hard. But even in the hardness - there has been happy things - when I actually looked (and somedays I did have to look harder than others!) What's great...when we INTENTIONALLY look for the happiness, we find it AND - our lives really are happier.

Scripture tells us in Matthew 6:34 "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble."  We must look at each day and see the gift that it is. Is it easy to focus on the bad things or the hard things or the crazy things or the things that hurt your feelings. But even in a list of bad things...if you look hard, you will find the happy things!

I do recall one day not too long ago staring at my Instagram feed at the end of the evening knowing that I needed to post something to be happy about. And honestly the day just stunk ( I wanted to say sucked but I know some people don't like that term) at that moment I had a choice: 1) To ignore the fact that I had committed to finding something that made me happy for 100 days, 2) To lie and say I forgot to post, or 3) to pray and rethink my day and find something that made me happy.   And you know what… I found something to be happy about!! It was small and it was probably insignificant but it was something!!

God never promised happiness but He is a Good, Good Father and when we INTENTIONALLY look for the good and the happy...it is there and it can be found. 

As we have now concluded lots of graduations and have touched our toes into summer I reflect on what I write every year in students yearbooks...Seek hard after Christ and He promises that he will be found.  It's in finding Him that we find true happiness and true joy. 

Jeremiah 29:13 says "And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart." And just like having to seek Him...we must seek the happy things of every day and we will find them but we have to look… INTENTIONALLY.